Thursday, July 14, 2011

My Family

I am back, but not with Jack and Sherri and the boys. I am undecided as to whether I will show back up there or not. I have let myself in 2 different nights, to check for bad scents and to look in on them, just stick my nose in their rooms while they are sleeping. Jack awoke one of those nights and got up with a .40 in-hand. But he saw Duchess, who was moving about the house with me, and just figured it was her being restless.

One of the new developments is that they have a new dogs, Duchess. She is a large shepherd-husky mix with a luxurious all white coat. She says that this summer heat it kicking her tail. She is a dog, but would make a goo weredog. I might nominate her to the pack.

Through Duchess I hear how they all are doing, which is about the same. The big change is the boys, who at soon both to be 16 and are going through all the phases of trials of teen angst. No matter how many generations I watch it I still cannot quite understand it. It scares and intrigues me.

In my recent travels I covered a lot of ground, went all over the U.S., then to Canada, and then over to Europe and eventually over to the Middle East, Afghanistan and even Iran. It is sometimes easier to move about as a dog in the Middle East. But, damn, life is hard in that part of the world for dogs. Keeping dogs as pets in Iran ranks right up there on the no-no list with teaching girls to read. Muslim clerics claim it is to western and anger Allah. Whatever.

I met and stayed for a while with a woman in Iran who runs a secret girl's school. In A-stan I saw the female battalions that the U.S. is trying to get trained and in the field, as well as did a lot of sneaking in and out of Taliban enclaves.


No comments: