Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Pack Declining

I am told that my pack is declining. We are losing members faster than normal. I am catching up on communications, emails and texts and various other types of commo, most of which are from my pack and friends in KC. Most of this commo is troubling.

We just lost a dog from our pack, an old friend of mine, whose family, an elderly couple, with whom he had been with for many years, had committed suicide.

They were both in their late 80s. She had Alzheimer's. He was depleted physically, emotionally and financially. They left a touching letter for their adult children, which my friend, the dog, was first to read. The letter said that suicide was the only option of dignity left to them, that life had become a daily, ongoing house of horrors for them. I am told that my friend is taking this very hard.

Suicide is the ultimate hard choice. Some say it is very selfish. I cannot say, having never been in such a situation and since I am not human. Werefolk do not commit suicide. But then we do not suffer the same emotional blessings and curses, the ups and downs, as do humans.

Everywhere I go I smell and sense levels of human desperation the likes of which I have not smelled since the late days of World War 1. I do not know what to expect when I return to the United States.

So, my friend will be gone when I get back. We have fought many a foe together. I will have to tell him "Goodbye" the next time I see him. I wish him well.

Warin and Caitlyn, I need to talk to you.

1 comment:

Chelsea S. said...

I have attempted suicide before. Obviously it didn't work, but I know these things from experience. I am since over it, and realize just how terrible it is. Suicide is a very complex issue. Usually, it is selfish and the person involved is too hyped up to think rationally about it, and the true consequences. But then there are old people like these. I am not saying what they did was right or wrong, but I can comprehend just what it was they were experiencing that they were ready to take their own lives. I'll pray for your friend.