Friday, January 9, 2009

Jack Sliding

Jack is not doing good. He cannot find any job leads. He has sent out 
hundreds of resumes, made hundreds of calls. He stays up late, drinks 
to fall asleep. He and Sherry fight a lot. The kids hear them, though they try not to. Every child in this area, probably in this country, lives in mortal fear of their parents uttering the "D" word.

Jack is gone now. I have no idea where, or for how long. It has ben very hard lately to get out at night, to patrol, make pack meetings, to check messages, post to this blog. 

If this family comes apart I don't know what I will do. I assume I would be sent with the boys, and not Jack. The boys would need me more. Maybe. I love them to much to watch them self-destruct. I may, instead, stage my disappearance and transition early back to human form. 

It is the dog's burden to suffer the pains and heartaches of their families, the people they love, and also sometimes the frailties and abuses.  But, part of the dog's life and lot is to also feel love, or at least attachment, and obedience to the abusive humans. It has to do, partly, with who fills the feed bowl.

Bella will be gone soon, claimed by the cancer. So, she will be spared all the pain. Flecka, I don't know. She is old, feeble, has 2 bad wheels. 

If not for the cleansing effect of transitions, I would have gone insane a long time ago.

Woof

No comments: