Saturday, December 27, 2008

Dog Transport

I did a dog transport today, with Jason. He was hauling 3 dogs. Said he does it ever so often. 

I met up with him in Raytown. Left my vehicle at a McDonald's. The dogs were coming from Texas, going to Minneapolis. They were loose in the vehicle, not in crates. Jason said it was better that way. 

Dassey, the oldest, stared at me most of the way. She wanted to know what I am. I told her I am friend, not to worry. The other 2, Killa and Sizzle, looked out the window and whined the first half of the leg, slept the other half. Dassey finally accepted me, relaxed, put her head on my lap and slept.

Jason said he was ready to launch. "Launch what?" I said.  

He said he's targeted 8 puppy mills, mostly in Missouri, a few in Kansas. "We have the people in place, and are ready to move," he said. 

"I want you on board," said Jason.

"Why me?" 

"I don't know. But, you got something. Skills, instincts, I don't know. But that raid you were with us on that op in September..."

"August."

"Whatever. I watched you, You knew what you were doing. And I sensed something about you when we were on target. It scared me.  I don't know what it was, but I want it on my side."

I shook my head. "You're gonna get someone hurt."

"Damn right."

"I mean someone other than the puppy mill operators. I mean innocents."

"There are no innocents."

"You prepared to whack a cop?"

"I am prepared to do whatever it takes to get this done," he said. "That is what people of vision and commitment do - whatever it takes."

I told him, "Kid, you don't know how many I've heard that, and how much it scares the shit out outa me."

We linked up in Spur, Missouri, passed on the dogs to the next leg driver. Dassey said she wanted to go with me. I said no. Explanation would have been wasted.

I am back at the house.  Jack and Sherry and the boys get back tonight. No telling when. So, I am heading back to the kennel. I will, miraculously turn back up in my cage, or a cage, tomorrow morning. I love a god joke. On the way back out there I am going to go stop by and see Warin. We need to talk.


Chester
chester.weredog@gmail.com

No comments: