Friday, September 4, 2009

DoD to Use Dogs to Treat PTSD

Can a canine companion soothe the volatile emotions of a soldier haunted by post-traumatic stress disorder? It may sound far-fethed, but the Department of Defense wants to find out. It is spending millions of dollars on medical research projects like this that may yield groundbreaking results but are too speculative for other government agencies to consider.

http://www.kansascity.com/637/story/1423622.html

Chester:
A member of our pack is considering getting involved in this, as a dog. He is also a vet of 3 wars. 2 stones. He is currently in human cycle, but coming up on having to switch over soon, to dog cycle. A weredog in another local pack is a psychologist who said she can get him into the program, help him find the right vet. She asked him if he wanted a male or female vet. The questions surprised him. She reminded him that there are many more females in uniform now, and thus more female vets.

I, myself, a few weeks ago, was out and saw a female 1SG (First Sergeant) at a gas station. She was wearing the ACUs and black beret, of course. I stared at her, lost in her stripes, and a hundred other related thoughts. She scowled back, as if to say, "What are you looking at?" I came back to myself and just smiled and said, "First Sergeant. Good morning." She busted out a beautiful smile, and replied back: "Fine, Sir. How are you?"

Maybe it's time. I am getting the itch to get back to my Army, to soldier again.

And I still hate being called "Sir."

2 comments:

Brandon said...

Hey chester, I was wondering if there was a way to contact you without the conversation being advertised on the internet for all to see. There's some things Id like to ask if you'd allow me that chance. Thanks.

Chester said...

Of course. You can go to the main page of my blog and click on "View My Profile," then click on "email." Or you can just copy this, my e-ddress, into your email app: chester.weredog@gmail.com.

Most who communicate with me do so via email. Few leave comments. Not sure why.