Thursday, August 27, 2009

Stray Cat

Monday night I went down to UMKC to meet with a professor. She is an expert in Medievel history, and I needed her help, to mine her mind for information and insights.

I parked 4 blocks from campus, on a street lined with attractive bungaloes, all painted and surrounded with flowers. I locked the vehicle and started walking the middle of the street. Down the street, ahead of me, an orange cat came down the street toward me.

We weredogs have an odd relationship with cats. The dog part of us, for the most part, wants nothing to do with cats. But, the human part is drawn to them. It is not uncommon for dogs to be friends with cats. Happens all the time. Flecka and Bailey are good friends. Rooster is tolerated, even admired, by most of the dogs in this neighborhood.

But, nature has given dogs, weredogs, and most animals, for that matter, the ability to tilt our heads from other species, even other dogs who are in need. Attachment is risk. This is one of the cardinal laws of the Wild.

Curiosity kept me down the middle of that street. The cat did not veer off. He sauntered right up and stopped right in front of me. Then he sat, looked up at me and meowed. Well, he tried to meow. His voice was broken from hunger. I knelt and ran a hand down his flanks. The bones were covered by a thin sheet of skin and mangy fur. His eyes pleaded with me. He needed food. He needed sanctuary. He needed help.

My pragmatism spoke out. I had somewhere to be. I cannot be distracted by stray cats, or stray puppies for that matter. There are too many for me to save them all.

The whole time until I returned to the vehicle, and that street, I thought about that cat. I tried to toss him from my brain. But, he kept pushing his way back in. When I returned to it I was resolved to do some thing for him if I could find him. I wanted to find him.

I didn't find him. I went back there last night. Nada.

So, if you know anyone, people or weredogs, who live or operate in the vicinity of Charlotte St, between 54th and 55th streets, in Kansas City, MO, please, keep an eye out for an emaciated, orange tabby. He needs help, food, friends, as we all do.

I can recall a time when I would catch a lot of crap for worrying about a cat. A lot has changed since then.

If you see the cat, and don't want to mess with him, contact me. I will come get him.

2 comments:

Brandon said...

I see a lot of strays where I live. I hate leaving them out on the streets, but I know that I really wouldnt be able to do much for them other than giving them food. Survival of the fittest I guess. I wish the cat you saw good luck, and hope you can find it and help it.

Chester said...

The world is full of strays - cats, dogs, people. I suppose it always will be. Ironically, people tend to be the softest touches in regards to than dogs or cats. I mentioned this to Rooster and his response was: "Fuck him. Let him find his own meal ticket."

Cats especially do not like other cats moving in on their action. Cats also tend to go feral more quickly than dogs when left to their own devices.

Dogs are mixed. Some have a very altruistic nature when it comes to strays, and others in need of help. Some are more like cats.

But, I guess not all cats are like that. The boys were watching a show in Animal Planet the other night about a female cheetah in the wild in Africa that adopted a baby baboon.

My encounter with that cat last week would not have been as significant except that he came right up to me, looked up at me, and asked for help.