Sunday, March 23, 2008

Little Dog

Rex and I go out together a lot. Some in the pack resent of object. But, for the most part they leave us be. Everyone knows how close we are. And when necessary, we do partner or travel with whomever necessary. 

Last night Rex and I were coming home from a LRRP patrol. We were almost home when we saw a small, white dog wandering the sidewalk. She looked very forlorn. We stopped, picked her up. She had no tags. Damn, you people piss me off sometimes, like when you don't put tags on us. 

Rex was driving, so I changed, to be able to ask her were she lives. When she saw me change she turned to dog stone. Then, as a dog, I hopped in the backseat. I tried to talk to her. But she just starred at m. Then, with a twitch of a tiny whisker, she flipped. She went crazy, started bouncing off every inch of the back of the car, barking and yelling like a mad dog. She was saying, "You're weredogs! Oh my Dog! I've never met a weredog before! Oh my Dog!"

"Well. Now you have," I told her. 

To get her talking I asked her where she was going. She said she didn't know. She said she just got thru the gate and went with it. She feels the need to roam, to get outside the gate and run. So, when the gate is left open she goes. She has no idea where s going. She just goes. "Do you know what I mean?" she said. I said that all weredogs do.

She then started going even more ballistic. I was yelling, "Hey! Hey! Calm down! Chill!" when we got pulled over by a cop. 

"Shut her up," said Rex, easing it over onto the shoulder.

The cop said Rex had a break-light out. Rex said thanks. The cop said, "A little late to be taking the doggies out for a drive, ain't it?"

He let us go. Five minutes later we stopped in front of the little dog's house. "Do you guys smell that? Huh? Do you?" I put her in the backyard and closed the gate. It's not that cold. She'll be OK.

Back in the Mustang Rex said, "Do you smell it?" I said I did. Wolf. The cop. "How did we miss it when he was standing there?" said Rex.

"All her barking." He nodded. "But, poor excuse. So, what do you think?" 

I nodded. "Maybe. We'll keep an eye on her."

I'm outa here. Got lots of e-mails to catch-up on. In all night tonight. Others doing patrol. And I want to read about all today's games. There was some good basketball played today. I love March Madness. 

Chester

No comments: