Monday, August 11, 2008

My Family - Update

I have been ignoring my family in the tellings of this blog. That is wrong. I get too wrapped up in this whole were mess. But, they are my family. And there is enough drama and tragedy and stories amongst us to fill several blogs or books.

Sven and Rick have entered the 7th grade, and the hormonal chaos that goes with that. No girl problems yet. But, Jack, Sherry and I are waiting for the hammer to fall. It is only a matter of time. 

They just got back from Canada. They go there every year with their Uncle Phil. He lives near Calgary, owns some horses and cattle. When they are up there they always spend a lot of time in the saddle. I like Phil, except for he never wears anything but cowboy boots on his feet and a Stetson on his head. Phil signed them up for sailing lessons this year. They had fun, and didn't drown. Bonus.

Braden, the 19 year old, is in Iraq, in an infantry company. Having spent much more than my share of time soldiering, as a man and as a dog, I can smell the signs of his situation. Based on what he has written (I read his e-mails to Jack and Sherry) I appears he has a good squad leader, a very god platoon sergeant, a good platoon leader, a butter bar, and a sorry assed CO, a captain with a dangerous attitude. Jack, also a former soldier and NCO, keeps telling him to keep his head and watch his 6, to trust his squad leader and platoon sergeant, to let them take care of things. He has been through three IED attacks. He says the ringing doesn't stop for days. It drives me crazy. Those damn Hummers are too light. But, at least they aren't in Jeeps, which is what the Army was still driving when last I was in.

Sherry is tiring of nursing, tiring or this house, keeps saying we need a new, larger house, and tiring of Jack. And maybe the kids. Somedays I think she is even tiring of me. 

Jack is depressed. His workouts at the gym are dropping off. His sips of bourbon, late nights, are increasing. Twice since we have been back from vacation he has nearly started fights at the bar we go to. He would have been successful had I not been there. He is angry, frustrated, horny, and alone. I know he feels alone. I can smell it on him like cheap cologne. 

I wish I could sit Sherry and Jack down and tell them to snap out of it. They are slipping apart at this time when they need each other more than ever. Humans are s damn stupid sometimes, at the worst of times. I'm glad I am not human, that I have to be that stupid. Sure, I sometimes lick my balls. But, only in dog form. I can't really reach in human form. But, if I could . . . Never mind. 

Fresh meat.


No comments: