Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Hanging with Ganieda and Coyotes

I am staying at a weredog safe house near Tahoe. The Weredog who owns and oversees everything here is one of the oldest weredogs living.  She knows much and is wise. She and this place are unique because she stays off the weredog radar, is not part of any weredog pack, and is allowed to be so. There is something about her, some sort of power or knowledge, that makes the weredog hierarchy respect her, allows her to keep her solitude. Rumors are that werewolves won't mess with her either. Her name is Ganieda.

Another interesting function of this place is that she has a pact with the local coyotes, of which there are many. They provide the ears and noses for perimeter security for many miles around this place in every direction. In turn, she protects them, even feeds them. I have heard rumors that she even has feasts for them, parties. A coyote party - that is something I'd like to see. 

I've also heard rumors that sometimes wolves and werewolves attend. Bet that makes the coyotes nervous. Still, what a party. 

The deal with coyotes and wolves is this: Wolves eat coyotes. Sound terrible? Well, wolves eat anything they can get their teeth into. Most wild beasts do. But, it does bother most weredogs also, as it violates the canis sense of unity, seems somewhat cannibalistic. Of curse, wolves don't see it that way.

Recent studies by biologists working for the Department of the Interior found that coyote populations in areas shared with wolves are 30% lower than in areas with no wolves. The coyote is top wild dog in North America, except in areas they share with wolves. 

So, coyotes do not like or trust wolves, or werewolves.  Or dogs and weredogs for that matter. But, they trust Ganieda. 

Holly keeps me informed about things back home. No more wolf sign or scent since I left. And no neo sign or scent. She said the neo situation is being debated amongst all packs. But, many are not taking it seriously, claim that it is hype and over-reaction. New species? Puh-leeeeease.

There is a weredog in Rick and Sven's school. She is a teacher. She is keeping tabs on them, keeping me updated. 

Warin keeps tabs on Jack at the bars. Buys him drinks occasionally, gets him talking. Warin says Jack is drinking more, much more. He can smell it on his breath, on his skin, in his blood. Worries me. I am working on getting someone close to Sherry. 

I have to eat and sleep now. I was up all night running with the coyotes. I am trying to win their trust. It is hard. They don't want to trust me, and I have a long time of thinking of them as devious little vermin. But, if we are going to come together with wolves and address this neo threat, coyotes need to have a seat at the table. 

I plan to be here a while, maybe a week or so. I need to rest, plan.  And I have much I want to learn and find out form Ganieda.  She has answers. I can smell them on her. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Parties for coyotes, that would be a sight. Wonder what coyotes do at parties, or any canine for that matter?