Friday, September 10, 2010

Strays

There is a stray weredog in our AO. Strays are uncommon. But it does occur.

I have been trying to find and connect with him. My goal is to get him into our pack. I found him in a dark bar a couple nights ago. He was drunk. Drinking is bad idea for weres. Getting drunk is a terrible idea. He snarled at me as soon as I sat on the stool next to him.

"Go away," he said.

I managed not to get bit and got him talking. He has spent too long in human form. He got too caught up on this current war. War is the most common cause for dogs doing this, staying to long in one for or the other. I don't even know how many times he has been over in Iraq and Stan. Too many. He has been in human for over 15 years. Way too long.

Strays are everywhere. Stray dogs. Stray humans. It is never good, for them or for anyone. Everyone needs a pack, a family, community, connection. Canines and humans are social animals. Our survival hinged on our social tendencies.

Strays scare most people and dogs. Strays are seen as wild, detached, unhinged, crazy, dangerous...disconnected. But the history of philosophy and art is filled with strays...disconnection.

Life is about connection. All living things strive for connection. Humans beings have an incredible capacity for connection. It is possibly their most powerful trait. The need or connection fuels love and empathy. Many weres say this capacity is balanced against capacities for violence and hatred and fear.

I am trying to get this dog into our pack. All dogs, and wolves, need a pack. I check in on him from time to time, talk, listen, shares stories, bourbon, meat. One of the taboos of lone weredogs is the myth that stray dogs eventually become lone wolves. Some say that is not the case, that there simply is no difference between the perro solo and the lobo solo.

I would not even care about that. This dog just needs a pack. Connection is the key to survival. I am heading out again to night, to find and talk to him, and a few other errands I have to see to.

I am ready to go, but Sven is still awake upstairs, on his phone and computer. His lights are supposed to be out at 10:00PM. Everyone else is awake. If he does not knock off for the night I will have to figure out some way to covertly awaken Jack and sick him on Sven.

No comments: