Saturday, May 24, 2008

Owls and Peanut Butter

Heading out soon to find Jack. I think I know where he is. First stop will be to check on an owl.

Three nights ago Rex and I were driving home, late, from a downtown meeting, and a short patrol, and we passed an owl just sitting in the middle of Metcalfe, a three-lane street. Rex was driving. I told him, "Go back." He wheeled it around. 

The owl was just sitting in the middle of the street. He seemed fine, except that he was not flying away from me, standing three feet from him. It was night. Late. His time. 

I got behind him and picked him up. He was lighter than I expected. Back in Rex's Mustang, he said, "And just what the hell do you propose to do with that?"

"Her," I said.

"Her. Whatever."

I said, "Take her to Fay." About then she tried to take a bite out of my neck. I asked her if she knew what a buddy is, because I was the best buddy she had right then.

Fay is an old gal in our neighborhood who is a certified wildlife rescue tech. And she's a retired nurse. So, I called, woke her. When I told her of my new friend, she said to come right over.

Fay said the owl suffered from head trauma. Her wings were fine. All she needs is rest, said Fay, and quiet. So, we left her with Fay, who said I could check on her anytime. 

Sven told Jack he heard something outside his window the other night, a noise that woke him and would not let him go back to sleep.  I gave the deck a good sniffing the next day. But, it was hard to smell anything but us. Three dogs and four people leave a good scent base. I would have forgotten about it if not for the timing, while I was out, and the tuft of fur I found caught in a deck screw - Wolf. 

I explained the situation to Bella and Flecka. They were not pleased. I told them what to do if werewolves came around, the bark they had to put out. Bella is small, but she has the bite. Flecka is scared, but she has the bark. I told them a big part of dealing with wolves is attitude. No problem, said Bella. They said they didn't want me going out tonight. I said I had to go find Jack. 

So, got to go. Got to go track Jack. It's not like during the day I am just napping and licking myself. I have a network that is constantly collecting and distributing information. When the family is all gone during the day I often get on a computer. We have three. Or I make calls. Buy and sell orders can be placed at night. But real time market events happen during the day. So, do other events. Being a weredog is not easy. 

And if we stop somewhere to get a beer, that would help get this peanut butter taste out of my mouth. Rick gave me half a peanut butter sandwich today. I know I shouldn't. But, I am such a sucker for peanut butter. But, first, have to go by Fay's.

No comments: