Saturday, November 22, 2008

Ranch Trip, Part 2: Leloup

Never finished this story.

Soooooo, there we were, sitting in Leloup, Kansas, surrounded by werewolves, Jack, Brendan, Rick, Sven, Belle, Flecka and me.  

Jack and Brendan were tired form the long, cold night.  Sven and Rick mostly slept through it.  But, Jack and B were not on the ball as much as normal for them.  Brendan was probably still a bit fatigued from Iraq and the flight home, and the impending flight back over there within the next week.  

Jack, B and the boys all got out and headed into a little Bar-B-Q joint called the Carrion Cafe.  Jack pointed at the sign and laughed.  Brendan said, "Wonder what they use for sauce."

Soon as they were inside I said, "I'm going in."  I told Bella and Flecka to stay put, keep the doors locked, not let anyone in.  

"I smell wolf. Strong," said Bella.  She was shaking violently.  She did not want to stay in the vehicle.  Flecka whined loudly.  I told them they had to, that it was too dangerous.

Behind the Carrion was another street. On that street were some houses, a small car and truck garage.  Sounds of welding and the tinking sounds of someone beating on metal came from within. A 2-story white building was just down from the garage.  A sign on the front said LeLoup Meat Processing.  I had no doubt.  I went around back of the building and let myself in.

Even though it was a few weeks prior to deer season, there were deer hanging around the kill room in various stages of slaughter.  Cows too.  Pigs.  Lots of pigs.  The coppery smell of blood was nearly as string as the musty smell of wolf.  The thought occurred to me that there had to be no one better than a wolf for butchering meat. 

"You here for the 8-point buck?"  I looked up and saw a guy in a bloody apron.  He was wiping his hands and smiling at me.  "You ain't a deputy are you?"  He laughed.  "Would hate for a constable to find these deer."  He slapped one of the gutted and dressed deer, gleaming red and white in the dull light. 

"My guess," I said, "is that the sheriff does some poaching and is one of your more regular customers."

The guy laughed.  "You're no rookie."  I told him 'No,' the 8-pointer was not mine, that I dropped off a 6-pointer the day before.  "Can't say I recall that one," he said.  "Let me go check the log."

He walked out and I walked on.  

Maybe being surrounded by all that raw meat made me dizzy and unfocused.  Maybe it was fatigue from being up and cold most of the previous night, or the brush with the cougar, or Rick laying on me during most of the drive that day from the ranch.  Whatever the reasons, I did not notice them until they were all around me.  

"What do we have here?" said one.  They all were werewolves.  I smelled it immediately.  But, all four were in human-form.

"Looks like a trespasser," said another.  They closed in, tightening the circle around me.  One was in woman form.  Three were men.  They all were within weredog arms reach.  But I was as a man.  

They were feeling cocky.  I could smell it, see it in their smiles.  The smiles faded when snarling and barking erupted in the large room and echoed off the walls and sides of beef.  

I'll finish this story another time, soon.  Got to get some sleep.  We're going to the dog run first thing in the morning.  I want to be up for it.  Never know what cute bitches will be there. 


No comments: