Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Being a Dog

I have been doing the dog thang allot lately, due to my injuries and convalescence. I am mostly fully recovered, now for nearly two weeks. But, I have been staying close to home for two reasons. One, Fleck is doing bad, going downhill. I have been sticking close to her. So has Jack, and Sven. Jack is downstairs sleeping on the floor next to her right now, as I type. The fire burned out. He has a couch pillow and a small couch pillow. I took a large blanket down stairs and put it over him, and her, Flecka. He won't even think about where it came from, or he will think that it was Sherry. I worried about Flecka.

I have been to one pack meeting in the past month. Things are quiet. But, we four new pack members.

One is a lawyer, just coming off a dog phase and getting back into the law. She was just hire by the Blue Valley school district. They had to fire 5 teachers to pay her salary. She is unapologetic. "It's necessary," she said. She just bought a brand new BMW. Also necessary. I meet more dogs who seem like wolves, and more wolves who seems like dogs. Strange days.

The other new member is a former Marine who now works as a hair stylist. We talked, get along well. He and Warin and I got a little drunk swapping military stories. He says working as a stylist is interesting. Many people assume he is gay. He does not talk or move as a gay. We, weredogs, do not have the same fears about homosexuality as you humans do. We could care less. Hell, we lick our balls, in dog form. You would too, if you could reach. Well, probably not. It is not appealing in human form, only in dog form. Don't ask me why. Anyway, the stylist could get a lot of action from clients and other stylists. He is a big, manly, fit guy, afterall, he is a weredog, but does not partake of any of that at all. Instead, he stays true to the woman with whom he lives. And her kids. He loves those kids.

The third pack newby just got back into the pet game. He says it is always challenging, that, to go back to pet mode. He is right.

The forth is a police dog who is approaching retirement. She said she cannot wait for retirement. The police dog gig is unique in weredom. Being a police dog is almost like being a human, in terms of working the 9 to 5. It is definitely not the same life as that of the pet.

Those four bring our pack up to a nice healthy size, full-strength. Warin comes over twice a week to watch TV, drink some beer, and bring me up to speed on everything. He said there are rumors in the pack that we will be ramping up operations. "Against whom?" I said. He did not know. Nor did he hazard a guess. But, I think I know.

No comments: