Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Beers With Jack

Jack has been out nights, late. Often it is after he and Sherry fight. She stays home and stares at the TV, not seeing.

I had to know, had to smell it on Jack, know what he is doing. Only by smelling it on him would I know. And fresh scent is the best scent. I have never smelled drugs, or even pot, on Jack. Nor have I ever smelled strange perfume on him. I am a dog. I can smell sizzling bar-b-q from half a mile away. I can smell a different oil on a familiar gun. I can tell the nuances in a thousand different oils and powders and fluids and emotions. 

Yes. emotions. I smell fear and love and grief and happiness. I smell arousal and confusion and apathy and anger. All dogs do. All people too, if only you would remember it. All I had to do what see where Jack went, and also get close to him, smell him, in the act. Then I would know.

So, Rex and I tracked Jack. We followed him to a bar. It was a risky thing to do, and flirts with violating were-rules. But, he is part of my family, and the situation justified the risks.

I was a little on edge. There's only so much I can do, only so far I can go, to interfere, to help fix things. But, this is my family. For now. As such, I cannot stand by and do nothing.

Jack is a good man. But, he has strong hungers. He likes premium bourbons, large-caliber pistols, long-range rifles, antique hand tools, obedient dogs, and strong-willed women. He loves Sherry. But, there is tension between them. They are both very sexual and passionate people. But, I have not smelled their sex in many weeks, and not all that often in many months. 

My fear, one of them, is that Jack is seeking elsewhere what he is not getting at home. He is capable of that. So, is Sherry. I smell it on them both. I suppose everyone is. I am. But, I'm a dog.

We took Rex's Mustang. Never know when you will need speed and power. Actually, it is hard to think of a situation when you won't. Anyway, we followed him to a bar called Trolley's. I was relieved it wasn't a house. I still was anxious to see if he was meeting anyone. 

Rex and I took stools on either side of him, at the bar. He was watching a game on a TV hanging over the bar, and did not protest. Not waiting on anyone, I thought. Good. He did not look at either of us until I spoke. "What's the score?" I said.

"Don't know," said Jack.

"You're not watching?" I said. He shook his head. I glanced at Rex. He shrugged. 

The stool next to me was open. I woman slid into it. She was mid thirties, brunette, attractive. Right away I knew she was into me. I knew by the way he looked at me, in that subtle way women manage to seem like they are trying not to look while letting you know that they are. I could also smell that she was aroused. I smiled at her. I knew it was wrong. But, what the hell. I'm only a dog.

"You seem like a troubled man." said Rex. I was about to say that. But, the brunette was making it hard t think. I was complimenting her on my necklace, turning my attention to, back to Jack and Rex, back to her. She caught onto the game, and was determined to corner my eyes.

I thought Jack might tell Rex to beat it. But, he said, "You're pretty intuitive."

"I sense these things," said Rex. "Anything you need to talk about?" The brunette, said her name was Clarise, had a hand on my forearm, a mischievous smile on her lips, saying something about her ex, what a jerk he is. I let her do the talking. Women like that. It also allowed me to listen in on Jack and Rex.

Jack opened up. I was amazed. He told much more than I wanted to know. I'd had no idea how bad things were at his company. They were laying off. People were dropping like fleas off a dusted dog.  Jack summed it up by saying, "Things kinda suck now."

"No shit," said Rex. "All that having any effect at home?"

"Things ain't so hot there either," said Jack. He said he was having trouble sleeping most nights, that he had to have a few shots some nights, to help him sleep. He even said, with a little guilty smile, that things have not been too active in the bedroom. But he wasn't sure if it was the fighting or the bills that was more responsible for that. 

"How bad is the money situation?" said Rex.

"Gets much worse and we may have to eat the dog," said Jack.

I yelped. Several people around the bar turned to look at me. One guy on the other side laughed. "Sorry," I said. "Tequila has that effect on me." Several people laughed. I turned to Jack. "Eat the dog?" 

He was already smiling. "Kidding," he said. "I'd never eat my dog. Rather eat my kids."

"How about you eat you wife and leave the rest of us off the menu," I said.

Jack turned to me, a scrunched up and confused look on his face. "'Scuse me?"

"Just kidding," I said. "Never mind."

"Do I know you?" said Jack. He was looking at me with an intense gaze, searching, scanning my face. "You seem very familiar. Very damn familiar."

I faked a laugh. "People tell me that all the time," I said.

Clarise eased in between us just then and shoved something into my hand. "I want those returned," she said, then eased back out. I opened my hand. They were small, frilly black panties.

"Score!" said Jack. "Damn. I know someone who's gettin' some tonight."

I looked over at Clarise. She was standing next to her stool, staring at me with expectant eyes. I sighed, long and deep, and handed the panties back to her.

"Are you nuts," said Jack.

"I got a family I got to get home too," I said.

"You too? That's too bad," said Jack.

"Is it?" I said.

He let out a long, tortured breath. "No. I guess not. Matter of fact I better get home too."

I leaned toward Jack and sniffed. Desperation and confusion. Not deception or arousal or expectation. I smelled just desperation and confusion. 

Rex stood. "We gotta go too," he said. "Good talking to you, Jack."

"You guys come here often? You got cards?" said Jack. 

Rex handed over his business card. Jack looked at me. "I'm easy to find," I said.

We would have stayed longer. I wanted to hear more from Jack. But, Rex and I needed to follow up on some leads and scents for the little girl. I was getting a bad feeling about her. And the whole I was sitting next to Jack, in that bar, I was thinking about Sherry, at home, laying in their bed, alone, wondering where Jack is. 

No comments: