Monday, October 18, 2010

Morning Risk

I took a risk this morning. I shifted right next to Jack, on the floor, in the pre-dawn darkness.

About 5am this morning I heard Jack start to yell, "Rick! Turn off your alarm!" I was awake immediately. He kept going at it. "Rick, turn off your damn alarm!" The problem was that Rick's alarm was not going off. Jack was mostly asleep and hearing the crickets outside the open windows.

Somehow Jack's tortured sleep was making his subconscious think that the crickets were an alarm.

Don't ask me why, but I shifted, right there, and raised up and said, softly, "Jack, Ricky's alarm is not going off. Those are crickets." I did not know what to expect.

Jack said, "Ooh. Ooooooh." Then he rolled over, shut up, and went back to sleep. Then I shifted back.

It was risky. Shifting is not instantaneous. Even when in a hurry it takes some time. Had he decided to get up and take a piss he could have swung his legs over and had a big surprise. But he was driving me nuts with the yelling.

Calculated risk.

They all are gone now, for the day, I think. Lots to catch up on.

No comments: