Monday, July 21, 2008

Dickhead at the Dog Run

Sherry and Jack took the 3 of us to the dog run this morning.

There is nothing better than an early Sunday morning at the dog run. Was still not to hot, but the sun was out, and the place was run amok with dogs, all sizes and breeds. Man, there were more scents, aromas and odors than you could shake a tail at. 

I was sniffing butts with this really good looking golden retriever - she had the most incredible coat - when this little hairball shoots in out of nowhere, between my legs, and starts biting at my shins. Well, hell. I did what any dog would do. I told him to back off. Of course, that involved some barking. He jumped back, but them came right back in. He actually told me to stuff it.

Well, I had to make a statement. I snarled at him, viciously enough to throw him off, then flip him over on his back and was over him, still snarling. All I said was, "Watch yourself, you little maggot, before you bite off more than you can chew."

I was just about to stop and get off him, and let him run off, when someone kicked me. I reacted by leaping about three feet away from the force of the kick. It was a big fat guy. He was reaching down and picking up the hairball, and cursing at me.

Jack came up and was saying, "Sorry about that," when the fat guy launched into him. He said that Jack had better watch his damn dog, that I am a menace. 

You think people don't have hackles? Oh yeah. They got them. I saw Jack's go up. Soon he and the fat guy were exchanging none too friendly words. I smelled violence in the air. Jack is six-four. The fat guy was about the same. And I got to admit, the fat guy was big, although shaped like a pear. But Jack is built like a brick shithouse. And he can throw a punch. He has a heavy bag hanging in our basement. I have seen him make that thing dance like it is a laundry bag. 

When the fat guy said that Jack looked as dumb as his dog and that we both better clear out before we got hurt, I thought, Oh, Dog, here we go. We'll be in the can tonight for sure. Too bad they don't lock up dogs and people together. Jack leaned in real close and spoke real softly to the fat guy. I won't tell you what he said. That is not as important as how he said it. It scared the doggy doodoo out of me and I was about eight feet away. Also, the fat guy was looking right into Jack's eyes.

That was the end of it. The fat guy moved off with his hairball. People like that amaze me, people who expect dogs to behave like good children. Dogs are not children. Dogs are not even people, shock as that is for some. Weredogs included. Dogs are dogs. As such, dogs are capable of wild and unpredictable behavior. Too many dog owners do not understand that, or their dogs. Same thing about parents and their kids. Don't get me started. But, I'll tell you something. I think that potential for wildness is one of the reasons you humans love us, for our wild side. It allows you to either come to terms with, or ignore, our own wild side. Your choice. 

No comments: