Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Home Alone

I am here alone. Just got back this afternoon. And Bailey and Rooster, the cats. Thank Dog for them. I would not be able to take the loneliness without them.

Jack and Sherry decided, spur of the moment, to take the kids to Colorado for a skiing Christmas. Friends called saying they had room in a house they rented in Vail. Price was right. Off they go. Jack, Sherry and the boys will not be back until after New Years.

I have to be careful, such as with lights. Jack asked the Jergens to "watch the house". The Jergens are not watchful people. But can't have too many lights on, or the TV or music too loud. Would be awkward to have the cops come knocking. But, I am practiced at this.

Bella, Flecka and Sparkle are at friends' houses. Jack took me to a kennel way south, out in the sticks. I did not go with Bella and Flecka because it is thought that I am too high-strung. Jack dropped me off at the kennel on Saturday morning. I never saw it coming. That worries me. That night I let myself out, stole some clothes from a nearby house, and started making my way home. I had some stops to make on the way.

I checked in with a few dogs and weredogs. Rece and I go back a long ways, real long. Another story. He is living in Stillwell with a woman named Donna who cuts hair and has three kids. He is working as a sheriff's deputy. It is close to time for him to transition. He is not looking forward to it, worries about leaving the kids, and the woman. "How do I let these things happen?" he said to me, head down, shaking, voice heavy with regret.

Rece also wanted to know what I know about two things: Jason and Jessica, and rumors of a new species. Had I met with them, Jason and Jessica? Dalton wanted to know. Had I gone on any ops with them? Had any other weredogs checked them out, or joined them? Should we worry about this? he asked.

I had few answers for him. He reminded me of the history of wolves and dogs, of Cros and Man. "I know," I said. I told him I would get word to him, arrange a meeting with Jason and Jessica, if he wanted it.

I stopped off for bar-b-q, twice, checked in with another weredog, who is currently a family pet in Olathe, and finally made it to Warin's. Warin was surprised to see me. I explained the situation, asked if I could stay the night there, last night. He said, "Sure."

"By the way," said Warin, "Someone named Diella is trying to get ahold of you." He wanted to know who Diella is. I told him. He became anxious.

"What's the matter?" I said. He said nothing.

So. I got back here this afternoon about 3:00. Rooster spent 2 nights outside, 1 in an ice storm. He was glad to get inside. Bailey was glad to see both of us. I think she is getting sweet on Rooster, at least friendly.

My plans, until the family returns, is to catch up on lots of messaging, planning, financial analysis, and blogging. And cooking. I like to cook. And eat.

So, I am here at home, in front of the fire, catching up on e-mails, texts and voice-mails, watching the Boise State v. TCU game. Bailey and Rooster are on the couches, nearby. They missed me. I miss Flecka.

Chester

Heading to the kitchen for another brat. Might cook this one. 

No comments: