Wednesday, April 22, 2009

In A Shelter

I'm in a shelter in Peoria, Illinois.  Long story of how I got here.  

I've spent the past 2 nights sleeping on cold concrete in a pen you could not park a Harley in. I am not a small dog.  Tonight I shifted so that I could get on the one PC they have in this place and make some commo and check some things.  My joints are way to old for hard, cold concrete.

In the pen next to mine is a young bitch, named Snowball, and her one surviving puppy.  An SPCA crew rescued her from a trailer park where she was tied up outside a trailer with no food or water.  The women who owned Snowball had left town.  In a rush.  

When they found her and her litter, 7 of the 8 puppies were dead. They were scattered about her. She was licking one, trying to revive it. I spent all night last night, and all day today, listening to her whine about the experience, about what a bad mother she is. I have told her over and over that there was nothing she could do, that she was tied up, that she has to move on and live for her one survivor.  I have named him Lucky. 

I just found a bunch of messages on this machine about a transport that is to take Snowball and Lucky to St. Louis.  I added my name to that list. There will be 4 of us.  We 3 and a beagle named Sharpy.  I had no choice.  I have to go.  I promised Snowball that I will not leave her and Lucky until they are safe. 

It's time for me to get home, back to KC.  I need to see Flecka.  And Rick and Sven.  And Jack.  And Sparkle and Rooster.  

The transport is scheduled to leave here on Friday.  Nothing to do but lay low and sleep on cement til then.

But right now I am going to finish up with all my comms, e-mails, etc, then slip out and go get some decent food for everyone, all the dogs in here, and something special for Lucky.  And I can really use a beer about now. And they have to have some blankets around here. If not, got to get some of those too. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chester, we aren't familliar. However, your presence has been requested by the southern k-9 alliance (which is falling apart). We have serious problems on our hands. As i've read, You seem to deal quite well with these sort of things.

Coordinates 34°12′30″N 84°8′15″W / 34.20833°N 84.1375°W / 34.20833; -84.1375 (cumming, ga)

You will be briefed there. Libby, out.

Chester said...

Hello, Libby. Hate to disappoint you, but I am headed home to KC. But maybe I can link you up with some weredogs in Georgia who can help you out.

Falling apart? What exactly is falling apart? Are you a weredog? Is your pack falling apart? Having problems with werewolves? Or maybe neo's? What exactly were you thinking I could help you with? Can you give me some details about your situation?