Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Up with Jack

Have not been able to get out at night lately. Not since last Thursday. The new situation involves Jack staying up all night, watching TV and getting drunk. He just passed out about 30 minutes ago.

Jack cannot sleep. I have noticed other symptoms of his emotional instability - outbursts of anger, crying (yes, it's true) or often just tearing up, bad memory, inability to concentrate, or focus, clumsiness, and icy stoicism. There's more. But those are the biggies.

Men crying and tearing up in a no-no, of course. Except in certain circumstances. Hell, I get choke and teared up whenever I hear the songs Ballad of the Green Berets and Copperhead Road. Every time. Can't even help it. 

Anyway, I have not been able to get away, to get out at night, and have missed several appointments as a result. What is a dog to say? It's not like I can just shift in front of Jack and say, "See you in the morning."

Flecka's nose is better. The medication Jack has been putting on it seems to be doing the job. It is entertaining to watch them. Jack has to sit on the floor and hold her nose and mouth, so that she cannot lick it off, then apply the liquid med and hold on for ten minutes so that she odes not lick it off. Twice a day. Sometimes she cooperates. And sometimes it's like watching a crocodile trying to drown a grizzly, the way she twists and turns, trying to get away from Jack's hold. 

Jack and Sherry took me for a walk tonight. Not Flecka. She has been low on steam lately. She smells OK, though. Just old. And 2 bad knees. Anyway, it got dark before we were halfway. We went through a park near the house. It weaves between 2 subdivisions. It got dark quick in that park, due to the density of trees. Sherry got a little scared, and said so. Jack laughed. I would have, but huffed and whined instead. Between me and Jack, she had nothing to worry about.

My point of this story is the fire flies. There were thousands of them. Everywhere. It was like being in a fairy storm, or on some sort of ride at Disneyland. The 3 of us just had to stop at one point and stand there and stare in wide wonder. 

Soon after, a few strides down the path, I heard Warin's bark. It was a bark that said, "I need to talk to you. Urgent." Crap, I thought. Oh well. I pulled the leash free of Jack's hand and took off. His cursing behind me assured me there would be a price to pay for this. It better be worth it.

I latched on Warin's scent, and found him, in dog form, nearby, several houses away, in the back year, under a lilac bush. He said I have to make it to a pack meeting tonight. It is essential I am there. He smelled very serious. So, I better be there. Warin gave no clue what this is about.

If Jack does not go down early tonight, I may have to knock his ass out. 

No comments: