Thursday, July 16, 2009

Warin's Inquisition

So, Warin is a half-breed and some dogs have been howling for an investigation, inquiry, inquisition. Take your pick. 

Weredogs, and werewolves, have traditionally feared half-breeds. I have always been told that werewolves killed them as pups, as soon as they found them. The problem is the unknown. No one completely understands or can predict how these creatures, these hybrids will act and behave, to whom will go their loyalty. 

Keep in mind the eons-long war that weredogs and werewolves have been locked into, each bent on and dedicated to the other's annihilation. But, if you recall all my recent interactions with werewolves lately, in particular Dionna and Diella, you realize that things have been changing between weredogs and werewolves. 

So, last night's pack meeting was full. Everyone was there. Holly presided, tried to maintain some semblance of order. The gavel did not work. So, she resorted to howling. Holly can howl. 

First several dogs spoke about the danger that Warin presents, how we cannot be certain of his loyalty. They went on about history and tradition and order. Several of them veered off into rabid anti-werewolf rants. 

Finally, Holly said it was time to hear from dogs who support Warin. I was the only one who rose to speak. I said that Warin has stood with me, fought alongside me, ate out of the same bowl with me. I know his scent, I said. I trust him as much as anyone. 

There was silence. Holly then asked if Warin wanted to speak.

The silence flattened as Warin stood, in human form. He looked around the room, then said, "I am the key to defeating the neo's."

No comments: