Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Big Threat

This online article caught my eye tonight: Disaster Capitalism on MarketWatch

A main point of this article, and one I agree with, is that democracy is being replaced in America with oligarchy. Behind this is an even stronger force.

The greatest threat facing mankind, dogkind, and the entire planet today is, in my most humble, yet informed, opinion, is the modern corporation. It has gone beyond capitalism, beyond business.  It is greed run amok. Few are controlled anymore by their CEOs. Anymore the corporation controls the CEO. I give you Ron Lay of Enron. 

Consider these facts. Most CEOs pick the directors who are supposed to monitor them.  Most rating agencies are paid by the companies they rate. Most audit firms are paid by the companies they audit. This is why travesties like Enron can happen. The Borg have arrived.

Yes, the Borg. Yes, I am a Star Trek fan. Most weredogs are Star Trek fans. More werewolves hate Star Trek. Instead, they prefere Dawn Of The Dead, which they consider wholesome family entertainment. 

Since mankind's beginning, there has been safety in numbers. The corporation leverages that instinct. Dogs, all canines, have the same instinct. But, that instinct has to be tempered. When the members of any dog or wolf pack start eating that pack it is time to choose new alphas, to choose new leaders.

The modern corporation is, I believe, a greater threat than even the werewolf. Although, I assume that most corporate leaderships have a heavy werewolf contingent. 

On another note, I was out late tonight. Just got in. I was not on patrol, was not at a pack meeting, was not planning the next mill rescue.  I am in love with 2 females - an irish setter and a blonde dental hygienist. Both live nearby. This could get crazy. More on this later.

I got home about 0345, let myself in through the gate. I could see a light on downstairs. Uh oh, I thought. Someone is up. It was Jack. I looked in and could see him sitting on the couch with his head in his hands. The TV was on, but he was not looking at it. I scratched at the door. He got up and let me in, never even saying anything about my being out so late, how did I get out, etc. 

I padded over to where his stuff was spread out on the coffee table. A Sig Sauer pistol was on the table in front of where he sat. Uh oh. Here we go, I thought. 

No comments: