Monday, October 27, 2008

Meeting In A Bar, Open Door At Home

I met up with Warin last night to attend a pack meeting.  But, we never made the meeting.  Warin said he had someone who wanted to talk to me. He would not say who. 

He drove us to a bar in Westport called The Beaumont.  It was packed with people, noise and scent. Warin led me over to a table near the bar.  A woman was sitting there.  Her eyes were on us as we came in and approached her.  She was built, with long, lithe, strong limbs, dark hair, and a face that few women can attain, regardless of cosmetics and surgeries. But, something was wrong.  But, I could not put my nose on it.  

A waitress brought our drinks.  I had a beer. I planned to sip it slow.  "My people want to end this war once and for all," she said, then downed half her white Russian. 

Werewolf.  I did not smell her for some reason.   I assume it was all the crush of people, body odors, men and women aroused, the myriad scents, including the buff wings and nachos. I am a fool for nachos.  

"We are divided," she said. She explained that werewolfdom was divided by those who wanted to live in peace with dogs and people, and those who wanted to rule, and feast. She asked me how weredogs stand.

"Together," I said.  "All of us."

"Impossible," she said, nearly laughing.

I was about to tell about how dogs stand together that it has always been one of our biggest advantages over wolves, when in walked Jack.

"What is the matter," said the shewolf.  I should have thanked her.  Her remark made me realize that I was not being subtle.  Jack was with a group of 6, 2 other men and 3 women, none if which had I ever seen before. Right away I could tell that Jack was with one of the women. She was nice looking, if you like the I'm-trying-way-too-hard-to-be-sexy type of middle aged woman, the type who longs for MILF status, who spends her 401(k) or IRA on breast and face enhancements.  She was wearing a red blouse that was 2 sizes to small and screamed, "Catch me . . ." Well, you know the rest. 

"Nothing," I said.

"That your daddy?" she said, punctuated with a distinct sneer.  

I turned my gaze on her. Her smiled faded. "He's family," I said. "And as such, I am bound to watch out for him. But, I guess that is something you cannot understand."

"I understand watching out for others," she said. "We do that well. It is how we survive."

"Yeah, whatever. By the way, what is your name?" I said. 

"Diella," she said.

"Chester," I said.  She laughed and said she didn't pick me for a Chester.  

I tried to watch her and watch Jack, who was dilating his nostrils and pupils at the woman in red.  I told Diella, "Come on," and we moved to a table closer to Jack, where I could listen in. They were not saying anything, just flirting. I started focusing more on Diella. Her scent was like nothing I had ever experienced before.

Jack and the woman got up to dance. So, Diella and I danced. It turned out to be not such a good idea. My mind started to take off on tracks of its own choosing. She could dance the chrome off a ball hitch.   And her eyes were on me.  I could feel my chrome starting to shift.  

All of a sudden the DJ played a slow song.  Jack stayed on the floor. So did we.  Diella waited for me to move to her, but when I did she pressed her body to mine eagerly.  The feel and smell of her nearly made me howl. I forgot about Jack.

"So, are we going to be combatants?" she said. 

"I don't want to fight you," I said.

"That's not what I meant," she said.

Before I could respond, I realized Jack was gone.  "I have to go," I said to Diella. "Can we meet again?"

She looked at me long, her pupils large, taking me in. "Just to talk?" she said.

"Yes," I said, "About the war, and other things."

"Then, yes," said Diella.  "We can meet again, for further talks, and other things."

She gave me a look and a low growl that melted the rest of my chrome.  All my chrome is gone now.  Add it to my shopping list, right after common sense, which I seem to have lost, in light of the fact that I keep falling for shewolves lately. I have never had feelings for a werewolf, other than hatred and loathing. 

I could not find Warin. He had vanished. A woman, I assumed. I hitched a ride close to home. When I got home, at 4:20 am, the front door was ajar.  I went in as a dog, but changed to weredog immediately, upon smelling werewolf.  The realization quickly hit me that they knew when to come, when I and Jack both were gone. 

I heard a whimper and went to it.  Bella and Flecka were cowering behind the couch.  They came out and crawled over to me.  They have never liked my wereform. But they liked it last night. I asked them what happened and who was there and how many.  Becca was shaking too hard to speak.  Bella told me there were 2 of them. She did not know how they got in. She awoke just a short while earlier and smelled their presence in the house.  They were upstairs. No sounds. Yet. Sherry and the boys were upstairs. 

I moved up the upstairs quickly, snarling as I went.  It was a snarl that said, "I am here and harm my family and I will kill you slowly." It was too soft to awaken the boys or Sheery, but loud enough for the wolves to hear.   

I didn't know how long they had been upstairs.  I did not know what they wanted.  I thought how nice it would be if Jack were there, and awake, with his .45, to back me up.  But, he wasn't. He was God knew where with some MILF tramp. It was up to me. 

I moved down the hallway, past the office, sniffing, snarling, ready—awaiting the attack that was sure to come. Bring it on, I thought.  I moved past Sven's room. Nada. Past Rick's room. Nada. They are in there with Sherry, I realized. My hackles were up on my back like iron scythes. 

I moved into the doorway, surveyed the room, sniffed, waited.  Nothing.  Sherry breathing was soft and easy. She was asleep.  I moved into the room, ready, eager for the fight to come.  All I heard was her breathing.  All I smelled was her breath.

Then, behind me I heard an eruption of noise, of two running down the stairs. I turned and erupted toward and out the door, down the hall, to the bannister in time to look over and see a form go out the door. They had been in the office, top of the stairs. I was down the stairs in an instant.

"They went out the front door! They went out the front door!" barked Flecka.

"I know!" I snarled as I went out it.

Outside, on the front steps, I stopped. Gone.  Vanished.  Werewolves are good at that.  I went back inside in time to hear Sherry say, "What are you dogs making all that racket about?"  She came down the stairs, bleary-eyed and half-awake. 

Later I found a message, a piece of thin stone with the words, "Next time we won't just visit," claw-scratched into the stone.  

After Sherry was back asleep, I secured the house and called 911 to report a burglar. A patrol car cruising the streets would keep wolf heads down. I assured Bella and Flecka that everything was OK, and took them both upstairs to sleep with the boys. I slept with Sherry, on the floor next to her side of the bed.

Jack came home about 7 a.m. the next morning. I so wanted to bite him on the as, literally. And since I never was able to go to sleep until sunrise, I spent most of my day trying to find time and place to nap. 

Rick decided today he would take me for a walk. He never takes me for walks. But, today, or all days, he decides we will walk.  Not only that, we walked for over nearly 2 hours, and nearly 3 miles. I love that boy, but he sometimes has terrible timing.

When I finally did mange to get in a decent nap, in the basement, my last thoughts were of Dionna, and guilt.  I am having the guilts for cheating on a shewolf, with another shewolf. Dog help me.  And werewolf terrorists have targeted my family.  And Jack, our supposed family alpha male, is fooling around with some woman who makes Pamela Sue Anderson seem like Yale faculty.  

Now, I still have sleep to catch up on, and dreams of Diella. Damn. I mean Dionna.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you wont be leaving your house any time soon.

Chester said...

Even if I wanted to, I cannot stay in nights right now. It is Halloween this Friday. This is prime hunting time for werewolves. We weredogs have to be out in force to watch over you people, our people, but all people, even the jerks.

Gisella is here. She comes once a week to clean the house. Jack, Sherry and the boys are gone. So, I am upstairs on one of the desktops. I can only type when Gisella stops vacuuming, which covers the sound of my typing. I cannot take the chance of changing out of dog form, so I am typing with claws. They make a lot of noise on keys. You would not believe. Some dogs can type with their pas, when they have to. But I was never able to do that.

Bella's cancer is worse today, growing. I can smell it. She needs to get outside, go for a walk. I will take her for a walk when Gisella leaves, before everyone starts coming home. They boys won't do it. They're teens, pretty much think only of themselves.

A dog walking a dog. Go figure. Actually, I will walk her in man form. Getting out of the house is the challenge. But I know tricks.

Gotta go. Gisella is making her lunch. She usually gives us hand outs.