Thursday, October 16, 2008

New Wave of Puppy Mill Laws?

Taken from the KC Star on Oct. 15, 2008:

The Humane Society of the United States has counted Pennsylvania among a handful of states where lucrative, largely unregulated puppy mills are concentrated.

The issue caught the attention of Oprah Winfrey after a suburban Philadelphia rescue organization put up a billboard in Chicago begging  to do a show on dog breeder abuse. The movement took on new momentum when, in August, operators of two eastern Pennsylvania kennels shot 80 dogs after being ordered to let veterinarians examine some of them.

The new law imposes strict standards on commercial kennels, including at least twice-a-year veterinary exams, larger cages and exercise requirements."We've catapulted ourselves into having one of the best laws in the country," said Sarah Speed, the Humane Society's Pennsylvania state director.

At least three other states have passed crackdown measures this year. New laws in Virginia and Louisiana limit the number of dogs that can be housed in kennels, and Arizona law enforcement officials were given the power to impose a $50 fine against anyone caught selling animals along public roads or in public parks in urban counties.

Entire article:  http://www.kansascity.com/440/story/835752


Chester:
This might be a day late and a dollar short, but it is welcome all the same. On my last op with Jason and Jessica we went in on a puppy mill southwest of Bolivar. Jason had a team survey the place for three days prior. The moon was full the night we assembled, checked our chit, and went in. All we found were forty-three dog and puppy corpses. They were cast around haphazardly, like forgotten party favors. Their throats had all been cut. The butchers were gone, their scent still fresh, less than a couple hours old. They knew they were being watched. That is why they cut throats instead of just shooting the pups in their heads. The wanted to be quiet about it.  Then they split.

The butchers were gone. But, I will find them. By Dog, I will find them. I smell werewolf. It has to be. None of this seems like people. But, why? Why would werewolves get into puppy milling?  I have never heard of them doing it before.

I need to make the leap and bring Warin in on this. It's just that something tells me not to. But, he's OK. If he wasn't, I would smell it. And I need his help, to run interference with the pack, and the grand pack, and whatever else comes up, if need be.

Warin is a man by day. He works as a database administrator at Sprint. Or Embarq, or whatever. I worked there before, in a human rotation. Warin says things are still a mess there. That place is run by werewolves, I guarantee. Nights we are together, Warin takes dog form; I take man. Except or pack meetings, specially grand pack meetings. Many like to stay in weredog form at meetings. Weredog capacity for beer and bar-b-q is amazing, compared to people, or even large dogs. 

There is always discussion amongst weredogs concerning authentic, true form. You would think it is weredog, right? Some weredogs agree. But, some say "dog." Others say, "person." I am not sure. Or I don't care.

No nights out for a while. Rick is having anxiety attacks, bad ones. He can only sleep if I am on the floor right next to his bed. I better get back up there. If he wakes up, to go to the can, whatever, and I am not there, he will flip out. Besides, Jack and Sherry are both home tonight, in the same bed even. I can rest easy.

Also, seems we have an other-than-werefolk reader looking in on this blog. Welcome. Of course, this must be simply "whimsical fancy," as you say, fiction. No one would believe otherwise. Weredogs don't fit in with your construct of human reality. Or does it?

You identify yourself only as "anonymous." Anonymous is not infrequently synonymous with werewolf. They used that a lot in the Middle Ages. "Dear Sir. Sorry about eating your daughter/son. Couldn't help myself. Hungry. Signed, Anonymous."

Alas, the kid is up. I can hear the creaking of bed springs, him starting to whimper. Gotta go.

Fresh meat.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Weredogs don't fit in with your construct of human reality. Or does it?"
Actually it does.

And no I am not a werewolf if that is what you implying. I have also put up my name if that makes you feel better.

Chester said...

Brandon is a good name. A werewolf would not choose it. Where are you? Where do you reside?

Anonymous said...

Washington

Chester said...

State?

Anonymous said...

yep

Chester said...

Where? I was, during a human rotation, stationed at Ft. Lewis. I got to know Seattle and Yakima and Tacoma and Everett real well. Rex and I did a lot of climbing in the Cascades. Been to the summit of Rainier several times. Pike's Place Market was a favorite hang-out.

Chester said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Lacey

Anonymous said...

So I take it you liked washington

Chester said...

Loved it. Wonderful place. Has some of everything, in terms of climate and terrain and culture, etc.