Sunday, October 12, 2008

Braden, Iraq

Braden is in Iraq. I have not told about him for some time.  He is with the 2nd Brigade of the 4th ID. I forget which FOB. I need to know that. 

He says the IEDs are about the same. But the snipings and fire fights are less. The word is all the action is shifting to Stan. "And that's too bad," he wrote to Jack. "Because I got our hummer so cherried out that Hadhji wouldn't stand a chance." He says his hummer is named Electra.

One of his best buds is a medic, a female, who was assigned to their platoon because they were short a medic. The LT didn't want a female. But they had to have a medic. Troops get edgy when they don't have a medic along on missions. Turns out she is good, a damn good medic. Because of that, and that she has a great smile, everyone is crazy about, and looks out for her, outside and inside the wire. Her name is Colleen.

Colleen confided to Braden that the battalion sergeant-major is pressuring her to let him into her pants. To say that Braden is pissed is an understatement. He cannot stand the injustice. She says she cannot go to anyone about it, not even the I.G. Braden told her they can't do this. She is a soldier, for fuck sake. He sent in an e-mail to Jack that he has to do something about it, that he cannot stand by and do nothing. Jack, the wise old veteran, sent back: DON'T YOU DO A DAMN THING!  YOU CANNOT BUTT HEADS WITH A SERGEANT-MAJOR!

Braden has not responded. Yet. I fear that if things get bad enough I may have to come clean with Jack so the two of us can go over there.

Sounds like Iraq is a magnet for werewolves, on both sides of the wire.

I found another new partner. Nestor went back to his just-former family. I don't know what he plans to do. He cannot be a dog again for at least another six years. But, he says he misses them so bad that he must be with them, or near them. I have seen this before. It is rare, but not uncommon. It rarely bodes well. Alas the life of the weredog is rarely easy.

My new partner's name is Warin. He seems OK, not too dense. He smells Ok as a man and a dog, and as weredog. I have not yet seen him fight. And I have not told him about Jason and Jessica. Yet. 

Jack is not home yet. I have to go find him. It won't be a problem. I know his scent so well that I could track him in a feed lot.

Fresh Meat.

No comments: