Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Mission to Help Dionna

OK. I need to tell this.

It took me 3 days to get up to Grand Lake.  This was after the ambush at the puppy mill, not long after Xmas. It took me four minutes to find Dionna.  I homed in on her scent.  A dog never forgets a scent like that.

You might remember that I met Dionna up in Grand Lake last summer. Jack, Sherry and the boys took me with them on the family vacation.  It was an unnerving encounter, for various reasons.

Dionna was waiting tables in the faux cowboy cafe where I met her those months ago, last summer.  She caught my scent before she saw me.  Her head whipped up.  She saw me. I never saw a werewolf move so fast. She was in my arms kissing me and sucking the air out of my lungs before I could say, "Uh...."

I drank some beers and ate some chili and waited for her to get off. We went to her place. 

"So, what's up?" I said.

"First things first," she said.  Then she took off her clothes, and I mean in a way that left no question to what was on her mind. Somehow mine all came off also. 

Inter-species sex, between weredogs and werewolves, has always been verbotten, taboo, bad joo-joo. But, it is also the stuff of fantasies for most weredogs. For werewolves too, come to find out. Mostly we stayed in human form. But we did it also, briefly, in dog and wolf forms. Not in wereforms. That is very risky. I'l explain why sometime. 

"You're the first dog I've been with," Dionna told me. I'm glad she didn't ask me if she was my first. She assumed she was. But, that's another story, for another time.

We laid naked, running our hands and tongues over each other, as I asked questions and she explained. Soon after I and the family left Grand Lake last August, a strange scent crept into area. It came into the town, swept over the lake, like a low, malevolent fog. I knew what it was before she said it. 

"Neo's."

"Yes."

It became too dangerous for werewolves to go into the woods at night. That's a bad situation for werewolves. Embarrassing too.  One of them did some research and found this blog. She did not want to appeal to me for help, but relented after her best friend came up missing. 

I told her I wanted to meet with any werewolves who had seen or smelled the neo's. She arranged it the next day. They all believed the neo's were unbeatable. I told them the neo's are beatable, that I and some werewolves had done it. 

"You have fought alongside werewolves?" said one with a long gray beard. I said I had. How many times? Just twice. He shook his head. "Never thought I would see the day."

I had them show me on a map where most of the sitings had been, where the scent was strongest. I decided we needed to scout the area to the northwest of the town, back along the road toward the RMN park.  We agreed on the next night, and who would go.

The next day I spent sniffing around the town, getting ahold of a sweet S&W .40, a box of hollow points. Dionna and I made time in the afternoon for some canine carnal acrobatics. I never got a better workout in any gym. 

That night our group met at a cabin on the north side of town. There were 8 of us. 5 of us went in wereform, 3 as wolves. I had the .40 and an MP5 that a big werewolf named Stan thrust into my hands. "Her name is Betty," he said, smiling. Apparently, werewolves get as attached to their guns are weredogs do.

We covered the ground quickly. There were a cluster of cabins and condos over a ridge about half a mile from town, across the highway. The scent was strong. My hackles got stiff.

We had 2 wolves with rifles. I had them give us sniper cover as we moved. The 3 wolves scouted forward and our flanks. The other 5 of us stayed in a loose formation. 

We got in amongst the cabins and searched, for scent and sign. The scent was strong. No signs. We had no idea as far as tracks. 

"They're here. I can smell them," said Dionna. 

"Me too," I said.

Shooting and snarling erupted like a sound explosion. As we converged on the fighting I saw werewolves engaged with other forms. They looked somewhat familiar, even canine. But, the sounds they made were unique, their powerful scents, stronger with the aroused state of aggression.

The fight was over as quick as it started. 3 of our number were wounded, 1 badly. The neo's left behind 2 dead. We took the bodies with us. I arranged for them to be shipped to the same lab in KC were the other dead neo was being studied. 

Over the next week we did patrols and raids every night. There were more injuries. 1 werewolf was killed. 3 more neo's were killed. We found intel that they were gathering in the area. But, we never figured out why.  By end of the week the neo scent was hard to detect anywhere in or around Grand Lake. 

We started to relax. Dionna carried herself with an air of "Told you so," around he other werewolves, day and night. She had had to convince many of them to call on a weredog for help. None seemed annoyed. They were just glad to have the air back to right. They took to kidding me in their own way, by casually asking me, "You sure you're a dog?" when I least expected it. I got to expect it all the time.

Leaving was hard. Dionna looked up at me with eyes that pleaded for me to ask her to come with me. I told her I had some things I had to do, to find out, dogs, and wolves, to see.

Our last night was not very acrobatic. We spent it mostly wrapped up in each other, under the heavy blankets and comforters of her bed. I tried to memorize every line, every curve, every scent, and every hair on her skin.

"I'll be back for you," I told her. 

No comments: