Thursday, June 10, 2010

Hunting at Night

This morning was beautiful here in KC. Flecka and I drug our sorry asses out onto the deck to lay in the sun while Sherry and Jack read the paper. The sun's morning heat made my coat feel perfect, like I was being massaged by millions of tiny fingers. That will not be the case later in the day, when it is hotter.

Flecka is good today. Her scent is healthy. She moves well. Still, I worry about her. I never get used to watching those I love diminish with age.

I went out last night. Probably not wise. But had to make a pack meeting, then to sniff around. There is a strange scent around the house lately. I do not know it. And I do not like it. And night is the time to look into such things.

Predators hunt at night. Ffor millions of years predators have hunted at night. Some key reasons for this are that prey often do not have as good night vision. And it keeps them out of the heat, which equates to energy conservation. Less calories are lost at night, in hot environs. And scent stays fresh longer in the cool of the night. It burns off and goes stale faster in the heat of day.

Warin, contact me. We need to talk. Call me if you must. Convey to Ganieda my regards and upmost respect.

No comments: