Thursday, June 24, 2010

Cat Swagger

We have a new kitten. Don't ask why. His name is Chase. He is the most canine acting cat I have ever known. He is more social, acrobatic and aggressive than any cat I have known. He follows all of us around like a puppy. He loves Flecka's tail. He jumps on my back and head all the damn time. He drives me nuts. But I love him.

And Chase has swagger. And I mean swagger. Never seen a cat with swagger. He is a swagger cat. He is coming up on 4 months. He is going to be a big cat. I hope he doesn't lose his swagger. It will serve him well, in some respects. They just started letting him outside recently. His swagger is more.

Watching him got me thinking about swagger, and the attitude that goes with it. I don't think swagger can be taught. You are born with it. Or not. This is true for all species. Humans value it highly. A swagger says to all, "Hey. Mess with me at your own risk."

I have seen individuals develop swagger. It comes only with change of attitude, a jump in self-confidence. The individual stand straighter, taller, throws his or her chest out more, moves his legs with more muscularity and purpose. "Move with a purpose" is something that was said in the Army for a very long time. Don't know if they still say that. But a relaxed purpose and confidence is allot of what swagger is about.

Rooster and Bailey do not go outside much anymore. They used to, a lot. Rooster has spent much of this life as a stray. Bailey started out as a stray. Jack found her as a 10-month old kitten. But, both are older, slower. Their need to hunt is no more. They want more now to find the perfect napping spot, on a bed or couch or stack of clean laundry. They used to have, but no longer have, their swagger.

I went out looking for Chase, late one night, last week. It was after 3am. He was not in the house. I worried. Went looking. Found him sitting with 3 werewolves in the side of the house. They were there to see me, seemed mesmerized by him. "This your cat?" one of them said. I said it was. "Damn," he said.

They gave me what they had to give me. Told me what they had to tell me. Then they left. But not before each of them leaned in and sniffed Chase. He batted each of their noses. Did not flinch. I was proud. I love this kitten. He's got swagger.

No comments: