Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Sarah

OK. I need to tell the story of Sarah, or whom I have mentioned many times. Here it is.

Before I was a weredog, when I was still a young dog, I lived with the Masons in the American wilderness, on a remote farm. My job was to protect the few sheep and one cow that we had, to alert to any human or other animal threats that got in close enough to be aware of, and to provide companionship for the family.

Sarah was one of the daughters. She cared for me, watched out for me, made sure I got my share of scraps, that I did not spend all winter outside, that I occasionally got to sleep in a bed, hers and her sister's, Margaret. Sarah was seventeen. Her scent was a strong part of my world.

It was a good life. We had a comfortable and spacious cabin, a large family to tend to all the chores, and enough food, due to crops, livestock and hunting.

Then the war came, that which is known now as the French and Indian Wars.

The indians who found me were a tribe of weredogs AND werewolves. It was a tenuous balance. They were later wiped out by white expansion. They nursed me back to health, my indian saviors. The only way to do that, due to the seriousnes of my wounds, was to change me, offer me weredom.

Those of that tribe who survived white expansion were dispersed into the local white population, as dogs and people. I am still in contact with two of them.

Sarah's body was never found. I never knew if she lived or died. I searched, but never found any trace or sign of her.

I caught glimpses of her over the years, wisps of her scent. As time passed it became clear she had become were. As dog or wolf, I did not know. I assumed wolf, for several reasons.

I thought I found her in New York in the 1830s, then during the civil War (American), one other time. Then I lost her scent. I nearly caught up with her in France, during WW1. Then again in the 30s, in South America. Then nothing, until Vietnam. That is a long story. And then nothing until I caught her scent again here, last year.

I was always certain she was alive. I just knew. But, I had no idea if she was a weredog or a werewolf. For many years that was a problem, due to the war and my vow to kill all werewolves. But this new threat and alliance has changed all that, of course.

So, she is here. Somewhere. Close. And I think Jason knows.

No comments: